When online casinos first started appearing in the late 1990s, it was a revelation for anyone who loved playing table casino games such as roulette and blackjack but didn’t live close to a casino. There was suddenly no need to travel to play casino games and you just found an online casino site to enjoy the games whenever you wanted.
Of course, it took a while for online casinos to become popular. For a while, people were sceptical about playing really money games online and were concerned about the security of cash transactions.
Another off-putting factor was that casino software generally had to be downloaded onto your PC. Now, though, online payments are much more the norm so everyone’s comfortable with the idea of playing money games online.
There’s also no need to download software as you can simply play the games through your internet browser. There’s also the possibility of playing on a mobile, so casino gaming today is really a completely portable activity when you want it to be.
However, technology never stands still and there are now more and more online casinos which offer live casino games as well as the computerised versions. In a way, casino gaming is turning full circle as you can now play the table games you love at home, with real dealers and croupiers placing your bets, dealing out your cards, or spinning the roulette wheel right in front of you, thanks to live streaming of the games online.
If you want to play online roulette today, find a site which offers both the standard online roulette options as well as live roulette games. Then you can mix and match your roulette playing between live games and computerised ones whenever you want to. Many sites will also tell you about their sign-up bonus incentives.
Key differences between online roulette and live online roulette
1. User experience. With a game of live online roulette, the big difference for many online casino players is the user experience. Having the dealer right there in front of you is reassuring as you can ask any questions if you’re unsure about anything.
While you can also find help for playing online roulette games, you have to navigate through the help section to find the answer you’re looking for. With a real dealer, you can simply ask a quick question before placing your bet and continuing with the game. Many players find this is a much more relaxing way to play roulette.
2. Betting limits. These tend to be quite high in a live casino, as the casino has to cover the costs of running a bricks and mortar company.
Live online roulette betting limits are sometimes a little higher than the computerised online roulette games, but the games are still better value than playing in a land-based casino.
3. Bonus benefits. Whether you play live online roulette or online roulette, you still stand to benefit from the huge range of online casino bonuses that are on offer. So, this is one area where the two games don’t really differ.
4. Seat availability. When you play online roulette, you never have to wait for a space to become available. You can play at any moment as it’s just you versus the computer algorithm.
However, with live online roulette games, each game needs a dealer to be available to run it. So, the number of games are sometimes more limited. Of course, there’s always the option of playing standard online roulette if there’s no live online roulette game available when you’re ready to play.
Whatever type of roulette game you choose to play online, there are some sensible strategies any player should try to put into action.
1. Understand the different bets available in a roulette game before you start placing real money bets. Stick to even money bets rather than long-shots as you have a higher chance of winning.
2. Keep within your bankroll. Make a series of small, steady bets so that you get better entertainment value out of the money you have to play with.
3. If you’re playing live online roulette, make it a fun experience for everyone. That means be polite and sociable with the other players. If you’re not feeling sociable, it’s probably best to simply play online roulette.
4. Keep your cool. Make rational decisions every time you place a bet and that should mean you don’t get carried away and bet with more money than you intend to.
It’s not really possible to say if either live online roulette or online roulette is better than the other.
Both have their advantages and it’s great that there’s the possibility of mixing your roulette playing up a bit with these two online options.